Thursday, April 1, 2010

Guilt Credits


(Emily's Voice)

There should be something called a guilt credit.

I work at an outdoor education centre and spend every day outside - rain, snow, sleet, ice pellets, or shine. There are some things that I just can't live without while working in the outdoors. For instance, a pair of boots that don't leak when being rained upon or stepping into a puddle with. Especially this time of year. These boots must be warm and also tight-fitting; otherwise my socks fall down and end up bunched at my toes - not comfortable.

I have found my dream boots! The brand is BOGS. The fit - like a glove. The style - SO COOL. And they were very expensive.

Our whole mission this year has been to only spend money when necessary and try to avoid frivolous items and in this moment I must admit that I have CHEATED! I could have just as easily gone to Canadian Tire and bought a pair of boots for half the price that would have worked, well, not quite as well but close enough. But I chose to buy an expensive pair because I am a gear head and sometimes my obsession with gear gets the better of me.

So, there should be something called a guilt credit. This would be reminiscent of the carbon credit. Every time someone adds polluting emissions to the atmosphere they can subtract them by purchasing a "carbon offset." You essentially buy these offsets from companies that support projects such as wind farms, solar installations, geothermal retrofits, etc. The idea is that the buyer can bring their emissions to neutral by offsetting them with new, renewable and non-polluting energy solutions.

The guilt credit would work the same way. Every time I purchase something that I feel guilty about buying, I could give the equivalent amount of money to a worthy organization that would offset my guilt about spending that money. Why not just NOT spend it in the first place? Well, I'm working on that. I could have a new designation - "guilt neutral."

Would it be right to be able to buy off our guilt? Should we feel guilty for living in rich North America?

3 comments:

  1. I don't think that guilt credits really make sense in this case. If you have already committed to give all your leftover money to charities at the end of the year then paying money to them right now is simply going to lower the cash you have on hand at year end, thus costing you nothing net.

    If you want to design a guilt credit you would need to cut into the money you would otherwise be spending on essentials and really deny yourself something you normally consider justified within your system. Maybe refuse to buy dessert type food for awhile, enough time to pay for the boots, or walk sufficiently that you save that much money on gas?

    I think feeling guilty that you live in a rich society is nonproductive. Donating money to help others is admirable and productive since it brings you happiness and others security but being unhappy that you cannot save everyone improves nothing.

    If you want to learn about the widening wealth gap though you should check this out:
    http://www.theonion.com/video/in-the-know-are-americas-rich-falling-behind-the-s,14165/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy Tiger.

    Guilt credits are really just a joke that Em and I have come up with when we break our rules. They are as real as the Onion video that you linked (which, by the way, was fantastic:) You have thoroughly debunked them though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same way every single time I buy something that I don't absolutely need. But those are gorgeous boots and you're going to think about ways to help feed hungry children every time you put them on your feet.

    ReplyDelete