Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm sick....and am I ever lucky!

(Emily's voice)

Part of the reason why I haven't written on the blog in over a week is because I have come down with some flu-like symptoms and have been pretty sick for the last few days. I had a fever over night Thursday night, stayed home from work on Friday and have been keeping pretty close to the bed ever since. Today is the first day that my head feels a bit less hazy and my eyes a bit less grainy and my lungs are burning less when I cough, so I see that as a great improvement. I don't know if I have had the swine flu or just regular seasonal flu or maybe just a really bad cold with some flu-like symptoms. But, I'm on the mend.

The whole time I have been sick I just keep thinking about how lucky I am. I am so lucky that I live where I do. Just down the street there is a hospital that I can be whisked away to in the event that I show any emergency symptoms. I have a large support network between my boyfriend, family and friends; all of whom are more than willing to help me. I can take a day off work if I feel ill. I can spend the day just lying around using my energy to heal. I can stay warm in my apartment without any effort from me. I have immediate access to fresh, clean, potable water so I never have to worry about becoming dehydrated due to some of my less enjoyable symptoms (no need to mention those here). And, to prevent further infection, I can go out to one of the government-run community vaccination clinics and receive protection from further sickness.

How many people in the world can say these things? I bet that I'm in the minority. So, I'm sick and it sucks. But damn, am I ever lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment