Thursday, October 15, 2009

Talking about giving at Thanksgiving Dinner

(Voice of Matt)

At Thanksgiving Dinner last weekend we got to talking about our little project. Several family members had read Emily's article in the newspaper (Grandpa Winslow had gone out of his way to bring it down and show it to my folks) and so it was an easy way to chat about our year ahead.

(here in case you missed it - or don't live in TBay)
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/stories.php?id=217180

Like you would expect talking about giving gets everyone a little more comfortable opening up their closet and letting their dark skeletons of charity-past out to play. I've always known that members of my family were involved in charitable giving of some sort or another. The foster child photo on the fridge growing up, my Dad's trip to Rwanda, my mom's work at the food bank... and a vaguely remembered trip (or two) by Bev to work in an eye clinic in India. I suppose there is a culture of giving in our family but it is not talked about much unless there were a lot of photos involved.

Several family members mentioned a long history with The Plan International (formerly Foster Parents Plan). I suppose, that while it might feel strange to talk about giving, there is not better time that Thanks Giving. We are social creatures and by sharing out charitable pursuits, hopefully, it will energize us to continue.

1 comment:

  1. You already had Thanksgiving? You silly people up there in Canadia ;)

    No, but seriously -- what you're doing is amazing. The first thing I said when Robert told me about this was: "Aww, that is SO just like them - retardedly nice!" You guys are so inspirational. Looking forward to following your journey.

    -Andrea D. (of Bit & Byte ;)

    ReplyDelete